- Establishing congregational prayers and carry out other religious activities that are open fully to men, women and children.
- Practicing principles of moderation, tolerance, inclusiveness and conflict avoidance within the structural limits of the Quran and Sunnah in order to create unity among Muslims.
- Arranging educational programs for all members of the family.
- Promoting joint action among Muslim organizations of the Greater Saint Petersburg and Florida areas.
- Developing mutual understanding with and among non-Muslims in order to communicate effectively the principles of Islam to them.
In 2009, a few Muslim families in the Saint Petersburg area felt the need for a masjid to serve the needs of the community. To this cause, The Masjid Al Sunnah was leased for one year, paid in advance in hopes that funds can be raised from the local Muslim community to purchase the masjid. Since the masjid was previously a church, it does not require to be re-zoned for conversion into a mosque. The Islamic Society of Saint Petersburg would humbly like to acknowledge with deep appreciation the patience, assistance, guidance and good support that we have received and continue to receive from our Islamic community.
Our Board Members
- Tariq Issa aka Abu Jeneen - As leader of our community, he works very hard introducing himself to transient visitors and permanent members of our community. He's the "Mukhtar" or Mayor of our community and we love having him there.
- Nasser Razack aka Dr. Nasser - Another key member of our community and a generous one as well, Dr. Nasser has great insight when it comes to getting things done. He worked very hard in the early stages to help us get the building that serves as our community center.
- Mazen Marie aka Abu Mohanad - Abu Mohanad was also a key member when it came to purchasing the property we currently own. His Engineering and Realty skills came in very handy knowing where to look and what to do when we faced obstacles along the way.
- Musallam Hadabah aka Abu Amer - Abu Amer has been a great teacher when it comes to learning about Fundamentals of Islam, Quranic Recitation, and stories of the Prophets and Companions. He has a way with words and we enjoy when he tells stories of the early years of Islam.
We are very grateful to have such a great Board that is truly and genuinely concerned about the community, every single member, even transients passing through who join our community for a brief moment. Thank you for your work and dedication!
We would also like to pay hommage to our volunteers, a long list of them. These are the people who roll up their sleeves and do all the dirty work. They are the ones who serve you during Ramadan and clean up after you. The ones who organize events such as Eid-Ul-Fitr and Eid-Ul-Adha. The ones who go out of their way to organize the purchase and slaughter of our sacrificial ritual during Eid-Ul-Adha. These are the unsung heroes who without their help and efforts, things would be difficult. We thank you all for all of your efforts and May Allah (swt) reward you a huge reward and a continuous one till the Day.